Accident Reports

Kansas law says the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury or death of any person, or total damage to all property to an apparent extent of $1,000.00 or more, shall give notice immediately of such accident, by the quickest means of communication, to the nearest office of a duly authorized police authority. An accident report must be filed on all such incidents.

Reporting an Accident:

Contact the Merriam Police Dispatch (913-782-0720), or call 9-1-1. If it is a minor accident, and there are no injuries, the dispatcher may ask you to respond to the station to complete your report. When you come to report your accident, we will need to see your registration papers, your drivers license, and proof of insurance for your vehicle.

Obtain Copies of Accident Reports:

Accident reports may be obtained in person at the Merriam Police Department. Every effort is made to have individual reports accessible within 5 to 7 business days from the date of issue. To retrieve a copy of your report, you will be asked to provide the following:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • Case Number
A fee may be charged for a copy. For more information, please call (913) 322-5560 or email